It might come as a surprise, but migraines are a very common disease in the U.S. affecting 36 million people – including children. This debilitating condition causes not only pain, on one or both sides of the head, but also symptoms like:
- visual disturbances
- extreme sensitivity to sound, light, touch, and smell
- tingling or numbness in the extremities or face.
The quality of life for those suffering from migraines is greatly affected, however there is good news! A Doctor of Chiropractic has been shown to provide much needed relief, all in a relatively short period of time. For anyone who has experienced a migraine, every second is like an hour, so time is of the essence.
In February of 2000, the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) conducted a study to “access the medical efficacy of chiropractic manipulative therapy in the treatment of migraines.” It was a randomized controlled trial over six months that collected data in three sessions – two months before treatment, two months during treatment, and two months after treatment. There were 127 participants in this study that were between the ages of 10 and 70 years of age. Each suffered at least one migraine per month, which is the International Headache Society standard when diagnosing a migraine. During the treatment phase of the trial, the maximum number of adjustments a participant could receive was 16. The results at the conclusion were overwhelmingly positive:
- There was a statistically significant improvement in migraine frequency duration.
- There was an obvious reduction in a debilitating symptoms due to a migraine.
- With less migraines there was less need for medication.
- 22% of the participants reported more than a 90% reduction of migraines during the two months of treatment.
- 50% reported a significant improvement in the “morbidity” of each episode.
This is fantastic news to those who suffer from chronic migraines. There is now hope that a person can reclaim their quality of life once again. The key is finding a reputable Chiropractor that can alleviate the duration, frequency, and severity of migraines in a way that is non-invasive and without pharmaceuticals.