Inflammation is a word that makes a person think of a response to an injury or infection. We suspect a problem when we see skin that is red and swollen. This type of inflammation is obvious. However, there is another type of inflammation that we cannot see that is much more problematic and dangerous. It is the inflammation that lies beneath the surface that can create health risks such as heart disease, stroke, and even cancer.
Food is the main contributor to this type of inflammation, specifically the Western Diet.
- Sugar (also known as fructose, sucrose, or any word ending in -ose)
- Saturated fats (pizza and cheese are the biggest contributors)
- Trans fats (fast food restaurants, processed snacks, frozen breakfasts, donuts, crackers and cookies)
- Excess omega-6 (most salad dressings, mayonnaise, and oils such as corn, soy, peanut and vegetable)
- Refined carbohydrates (white flour products, white rice, and white potatoes)
- Mono-sodium glutamate, or MSG (added to some prepared Asian foods, soy sauce, deli meats, and salad dressings)
- Gluten and casein (wheat, rye, and barley products; whey products)
- Aspartame (sodas, gum, candies, yogurt)
To know if you are suffering from chronic inflammation, your Chiropractor can perform specific testing. But, maybe you’d like to know what to look for first. While these symptoms are not definitive, they do give you a reason to look further:
- You’re feeling depressed.
- Your stomach is hurting quite often.
- Tired is your middle name.
These clues do not mean you are suffering from chronic inflammation, however, they do potentially indicate a problem. Look at what you are eating each day. Is it filled with many of the inflammatory foods listed above? Have you ever done a cleanse? Many times, the first step is realizing there is a problem. Once you know, steps can be taken to remedy it.